Monday

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie













I have never tasted rhubarb before - all I knew about it was that it looked like red celery. I did some research on rhubarb before starting the pie and this site explains how "rhubarb is often commonly mistaken to be a fruit but rhubarb is actually a close relative of garden sorrel, and is therefore a member of the vegetable family." But, this site says that since rhubarb is so often used as a fruit in pies and other desserts, that it's considered a fruit... I thought, hmm okay... fruit or vegetable?! Whatever, I'll just go with it. 


Over the weekend I went to Bainbridge Island with my boyfriend and went to their farmer's market in 'downtown' Bainbridge. That was where I saw rhubarb stalks for $1 each and knew I had to get some. I ended up getting only 2 stalks, and thinking back I should have gotten way more to use in other recipes! Oh well, guess I'll have to go back to Bainbridge Island next weekend.. :)


Anyway, there were many recipes out there for strawberry-rhubarb pie. I chose this recipe because, like many other recipes on Smitten Kitchen, I had a feeling it was going to taste the best out of the others. She had 2 recipes to choose from, but I chose to go with the one she made 'improvements' on... I'm sure both recipes taste wonderful though! 

I love how beautiful this pie is, the fruits really stand out, not only in color but in flavor as well. Rhubarb originally has a strong tart taste to it, but when it is baked with sugar and strawberries, it gets much sweeter. I love the taste of rhubarb now; i've learned that you can add rhubarb to many, many desserts, such as: bars, breads, cakes, muffins, jams, and tarts. I think I'm going to have to try making jam with rhubarb next! 

Here is the recipe: 
from Smitten Kitchen

  1 recipe All Butter, Really Flaky Pie Dough or double-crust pie dough of your choice
  3 1/2 C (about 1 1/2 pounds, untrimmed) rhubarb, in 1/2-inch thick slices
  3 1/2 C (about 1 pound) strawberries, hulled and sliced if big, halved if tiny
  1/2 - 3/4 C granulated sugar
  1/4 C light brown sugar
  1 tbl lemon juice
  1/4 tsp salt
  1/4 C quick-cooking tapioca
  2 tbl unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 tsp water (for glaze)

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a well-floured counter, roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Deb says to fold the dough into quarters for easy transfer to the pie plate.)
2. Stir together rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, lemon, salt and tapioca in a large bowl. Mound filling inside bottom pie crust and dot with bits of unsalted butter. Roll second half of pie dough into an 11-inch circle and cut decorative slits in it. Transfer it to center over the pie filling. Trim top and bottom pie dough so that their overhang beyond the pie plate lip is only 1/2-inch. Tuck rim of dough underneath itself and crimp it decoratively.
3. Transfer pie to a baking sheet and brush egg yolk mixture over dough. Bake for 20 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the pie is golden and the juices bubble visibly.
4. Transfer pie to wire rack to cool. When fully cool (several hours later) the juices gel.

The pie will keep for up to 3 days at room temperature. Enjoy the pie with some vanilla ice cream, or simply on its own! 


XOXO, A


2 comments:

  1. Kimbab is a common and popular Korean dish. You can pack them for daily lunch. Here is the kimbap recipe | aheartfulloflove.com kimbap recipe

    ReplyDelete